As we've talked about before, I made a list of goals for myself to take me through the end of summer into early fall. I didn't realize it at the time, by my goals almost center around seasons. So, sticking to that "theme" my new goals will be begin September 12th, a week and a few days prior to the first day of Fall.
This season of goals will focus less on the internal me, and more on the external me. So often I find myself focused on what I wish I could have, rather then what I already do.
I can't beging to explain how many hours I've been dreaming of my next vacation. My thoughts are often centered on how happy I could be if I could just go to Sandal's Bahamas or Crusie to Belize. I'm always caught up on how happy I could be if I could have that new Lilly Dress or if I could buy those new pillows from Pottery Barn.
Well, guess what? I've been on some amazing vacations already. I've climbed Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, I've snorkled beside Bird Island in Antigua. I took a helicopter and hiked on top of a glacier in Alaska for Pete's sake. And I'm unhappy? Girlfriend needs to get some perspective.
I have a closet full of beautiful clothes, I should be happy to have them instead of wishing for Frye boots. I have more handbags then I know what to do with, why do I feel I need another one.
If I'm not careful, I could easily be living beyond my means and in a lot debt trying to live a life I think I need and cannot afford. Americans are in enough trouble as it is, I don't need to add to that lifesyle.
Truth of that matter is this: I have an excellent life. I have an wonderful marriage, incredible parents, an awesome brother and a beautiful home. I am lucky for what I have. I need to hurry up and embrace it. We never know how long we have in life, we never know how long we will get to spend with the people we love. I need to enjoy what I have now.
And so, my goals
- Do one "out of the ordinary" nice thing for Mr. Berg a week. Out of the ordinary does not mean kiss him good night or pick his underpants off the floor. That's what all good wives do.... atleast that is what I tell myself.
- Cook or Bake one new recipe a week. I have a kitchen full of wonderful new things thanks to my new marriage and my new house. Time to start using them.
- Call or Email a close friend every week. I am a terrible, terrible friend when it comes to making phone calls and keeping in touch. Time to put an emphasis on this!
- Work Out 3 to 4 times a week. I always feel 100% better about myself and my body when I make an effort to move it. Yes, this was a goal last time as well, but until it is enstilled, it needs to stay in the forefront.
I like these goals, I feel comfortable with them. They emcompass a lot of my concerns for myself and my life. Three related to my external life- my husband, my friends, the food that I make for our family and our friends. The fourth ensures I carve out some time for me. Does exercise count as me time? Maybe not. But for now, that will have to do.
As the fall and our season of Thankfullness arrives, it is important for me to recognize what I am thankful for and all of the reasons I have to be thankful.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have been blessed with both a realitivily functional life and the strength to take on the challenges that it does bring. I need to do a better job of being thankful and embracing all the riches that I have in life.
Look for my new goals check in starting on September 16th.
No comments:
Post a Comment