Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What Life Looks Like Now...

I thought I'd write this down just for posterity.  

Recently I came across a quote by C.S. Lewis:

 “Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back everything is different”.  


It really struck a chord with me. So often I feel like we are running a race on a treadmill and then suddenly I realize how far we've come in the 18 months Ryan has been with us. Having a child adds a whole new set of seasons to your life, amazing seasons that you don't even realize you're experiencing until they're over and just memories.


Right now, a day in the life of the Berg's look's pretty similar to this:



4:26am- My alarm goes off. I set my phone to pop up a message that says "Want to say fat? Go back to sleep then."  At the time, I thought it was rather humorous. Truth be told, I don't even read the message. I try to turn off my phone as quickly and quietly as possible so I don't wake the boys.

4:35am- By this time I'dve changed clothes, gone to the bathroom, filled up my water cup, taken my catalyst supplements and I'm ready to workout.

I stack my DVDs on the TV stand in order of rotation. Mostly because I want to limit the number of things I have to do in the morning, like find the damn DVD and because I won't remember what I'm supposed to do unless I lay it out.


5:20am- Workout Over. I take the current DVD out of the player, put the next day's DVD in and reset the rotation.
I head up stairs, leaving my tennis shoes in the basement so I don't wake everyone up with my footsteps.... Perks of living in a cheaply made house.


5:22am- Typically Mr. Berg is either already in the shower or he's still asleep.  Depending on whether or not I need to do my neck traction, I either give him the option to sleep in or get in the shower. I typically do my traction while he showers and then make the bed.

I also lay out my outfit the night before so I don't have to think about it and I don't wake up Ryan by opening our closet door.


6:15am- I'm typically showered, dressed and finishing up getting ready and heading down the steps. If Ryan is up by now I get him ready and bring him down with me.

6:20am- If Ryan is up he gets a small breakfast in his high chair while I unload the dishwasher, turn on the coffee maker and make my breakfast and feed the cat.


6:40am- Ryan is done eating so I let him down to play and I pack up my lunch and snacks and get Ryan's sippy cup and car snacks ready. Mr.Berg is typically walking out the door by now as well.

6:50am- I start loading up the car and getting everyone into their coats and hats. It's a process that's easier said then done.

7:00am- Ryan and I are locked and loaded and heading down the road to school.

7:15am- I drop Ryan off at school. Typically I'll wait around until he's engaged with his friends and then I slip out before he knows I'm gone.

7:28am- I'm pulling into the office and dragging my purse, coffee cup and lunch bag along with me.

7:30am-4:30ishpm- WORK, WORK WORK


Usually, I eat lunch at work- thus working through my lunch. It works out fine for me.
Once every other week I do take a lunch break to get a manicure.  On Fridays IF the day allows it, I leave over lunch time to do my grocery shopping. It makes the rest of the weekend a lot easier,  but it's not always a guarantee.


4:40ish- Pick Up Ryan. I get his daily report and any information his teacher's want to share. Yesterday I got the schedule for Valentine's Spirit Week at School. In two weeks he's the class super star.

5:00pm- Pull into the driveway to the sound of Ryan chattering away. I can hear Sophie crying at the door waiting for us.

5:15pm- By now our bags are put away and I'm change into more comfortable clothing. Ryan is over it and ready for dinner.

5:45pm- Dinner is over and the boy is ready to play.
I try to always eat dinner with Ryan because I'm starving too. Unfortunately, he's a fast eater so I may no sooner be done getting my dinner on a plate and he's ready to go.

On Thursday nights I try to throw in a couple loads of laundry and clean up either the first floor or the second floor. It just depends on how our schedule goes.

6:30pm- Usually Mr. Berg is home by now and we're either getting ready for bath time or we're winding down for bedtime.

7-7:30pm- Ryan is down for the count.
Before he goes down I lay out his outfit for the next day and clean up his room.
I usually do the bedtime routine and Mr. Berg either eats his dinner, does some chores or gets a shower.


8:00pm- Mr. Berg and I catch up on DVR shows or workout house work.

9-9:30pm- Bedtime for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment