Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cha-Cha-Cha- Changes.....

Once upon a time, I was pregnant and stressing over how I would further my career while caring for a child I desperately wanted to stay home with. I felt caught between a rock and a hard place. Sure, I was facing the struggle a lot of women face when they have careers and children. Yet, is a little bit different. I own the business that holds my job. 

On one hand I want to be a stay at home mom, just like my mom was. I loved having her home with me when I was young. I loved that she was the one that picked me up and dropped me off at pre-school, kindergarten and beyond. It was something I knew from a young age was special and I wanted to provide the same for my child.

Yet, on the other hand I have worked very hard for many years to educate myself and earn my name in the business world. The fight is still in me to further my career and grow the business that my family has owned and worked in for 5 generations. A business and a job that I love very much. Not to mention we need my income and my benefits, too!

I knew I would be a working mom, I just didn't know how I was going to make it work. Through a lot of negotiations and tears, I was able to secure my 12 weeks of maternity leave and a work week that allowed me to work 36 hours a week in the office and 4 from home. I've been doing exactly that since I returned to work in early October 2012. It hasn't always been easy but it has worked for us. I have loved my Fridays at home but as Ryan grows and becomes more active and more curious, the task of working for the business and for the home on Friday has become more and more challenging.

My responsibilities at work have been increasing 10 fold, my need to be in the office has grown and I've finding it harder and harder to balance it all when I'm missing that extra day of desk time. It's been a large source of my stress, sleepless nights and disorganization. It's also been  the reason for lots and lots prayers on my daily commute.

On top of all of this, Ryan is thriving at daycare. He loves the interaction with other children and the structure of the day. There's just a few problems: his daycare isn't open on Fridays or through the summer. Add to that, it's 20 minutes in the opposite direction of everywhere I need to be.

When we signed on for at the home based daycare he is at now, we knew that it was only a temporary solution to a long term problem. Mr. Berg and I knew we were facing another epic daycare search sooner then later if we didn't soon get news a spot opened up on one of our many waiting lists.

My prayers were answered on Friday when we received a phone call with the good news we've been waiting for for many months. There was a spot open at our first choice daycare. The one located 10 minutes from my office, on my way into work. The one with a high teacher to student ratio, with an awesome playground and Center Director that we fell in love with.

Ryan starts on Martin Luther King Day. While I am nervous over yet another transition for our sweet boy, I know he's ready. He loves the activities he does at his current center. He'll have even more at his new center. He loves being around children his own age and he will be thrilled to have so many new friends.


While I will certainly miss our Ry-Day Fridays, it is certainly time to go back to a five day work week and the structure that provides.

Although I'm starting to worry how I'm going to get my laundry and errands done..... Friday was always housework day.... on top of everything else.....

Wish us luck as we transition into our new schedule and our new daily routine.




No comments:

Post a Comment