Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Class BIter

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan..... what is your Mama gonna do with you......


Ryan is at a small, in home daycare.. and by small, I mean it. Really small. There are two other children. A little boy his age and a little girl who is three. Plus, Miss Clara's daughter who is 7 months. With the except of the baby, Ryan has sunk his teeth into everyone else. Great....

Every Friday Miss Clara emails me with a weekly report that run down what was for lunch, the weekly activities, etc. As the end of last week's email she added the following:

I don't want you to be concerned but Ryan has started biting everyone. He typically only bites clothing and doesn't do it out of retaliation or spite, he just does it. I am not concerned, it is very much an age thing. Here is what I've been doing to teach him to stop......

Color me embarrassed! He might look sweet and innocent, but he's the kid that bites!


Great... just great....


If you'll excuse me, I'm off to buy a child sized muzzle..... and baby dentures. He bites when he's teething. I'll nib that shit in the bud!


In all honestly, yes, it's totally normal and a rite of passage for most kids. He does it to Mr. Berg and I too and truly when his mouth is bothering him. Poor kid, it must be so frustrating to be in such pain. We are doing all the "suggested methods" for combating it and teaching him not to. I know it will sink in eventually, just not right away.


Advice?

Oh and if you're kid never bit anyone, I don't want to hear from you. I bet your kid picked their nose instead :)  Kidding, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Both of my kids bit - it is a short lived stage. We told them "teeth are for food" and all that jazz. Basically they bite for a bit until they start using some form of communication other than their teeth. Hang in there - this was hard for me, my daughter bit A LOT - I felt terrible but everyone told me it would cease and it did. Then she never stopped talking and now she is six and never stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that will be Ryan. If he's not biting, he's babbling.

    ReplyDelete