Thursday, October 24, 2013

What the Doctor Found...

Just as we thought, early stages of Cervical Spinal Stenosis. He wouldn't go as far as officially stamp my file "stenosis" but my vertebrae are showing the signs of heading in that direction. And, as he put it, it's genetic, the odds weren't exactly in my favor.


So, what does this mean?

Right now my there is a specific area in my neck that ain't happy. It's starting to compress and aggravate the surrounding tissue, which is causing all of the tension and pain in my left arm, shoulder, elbow and hand.  My neck in that area is also curving the wrong way, thanks to compression. He will probably never be able to get my neck to curve properly again, but he feels confident he can get it at least back to neutral, which will provide a lot of relief.  I will also need to start decompression therapy and manipulation therapy next week.

All in all, I will probably need twice a week therapy for 4 weeks, after that I will be given a device to use for at home decompression therapy.

The bad news: This is a chronic condition that I will battle for the rest of my life.

The good news: No restrictions. I can still workout as I want to, I can still lift weights, drag my child around, all the good stuff. I just need to be a little extra mindful of my body and how it feels and give myself a break from time to time if I need it.

I had my first round of manipulation therapy last night. I left feeling a ton better. This morning I woke up refreshed after having my first real good night of sleep in a long time. I skipped my workout today and will until Monday. We are going to give my neck and muscles a chance to relax for a little bit. Come Monday, I'll be back at it. I also went from having the neck mobility of an 80 year old man to a 75 year old man. Imagine that!


So, let's all do an athritic happy dance for increased movement and less pain.

Also, I'm totally rocking my pink skinny jeans at work today. Tonight, I get to see my old lover, Lyle Lovett. He's bringing his friend, John Hiatt, along. That's cool, I'm bringing my dad :)


Happy Thursday People :)


1 comment: