I really wish I knew the most diplomatic and eloquent way to discuss what I am about to say. But in all honesty, I have no idea how to do that.
Thanksgiving for me is some what like the opening lines of A Tale of Two Cities. It is the best of times and the worst of times all rolled into one.
Each year starting on November 1st I begin to become consumed with a horrible mix of emotions. I so look forward to seeing Mr. Berg's family. I love to be with the kids and play game and watch them grow. I love to be around the rest of the adults and soak them up since I only see them once or twice a year. I love the crisp, cold Boston air. I love the northern way of life. I love to visit places I only see at Thanksgiving.
But there is a dark storm that comes with it. There is one person I just can't seem to like, who just can't seem to be nice and just can't seem to act like a normal person should. We have questioned this person's mental health, their choice of actions, etc. But sadly, we can't come to a conclusion as to why this person acts the way that they do.
It makes it especially difficult because this person is particularly close to Mr. Berg. And thus is it a source of tension and unrest. Trust me, he understands my position and has experienced it first hand. However, not much can be fixed when it comes down to it.
And so, this November, I am going to try my best to can my emotions. I am going to try my best not to make a face or roll my eyes when this person pulls out their usual bag of tricks. I will do my best not to vent or become upset because all that does is make it worse for my dear and wonderful husband. Instead, I will be ever so thankful for the joys that Thanksgiving and our trip North brings.
And I will probably drink a shit ton of wine.... because how else can a person survive 6 days of intense hell? (I'm mostly kidding here people.... mostly)
So in an effort to be "thankful" and focus on the joyful things November brings.... here is my list of things I love so far about November:
November Loves
- Fall leaves in every color imaginable
- Crisp, cold wine and a gas log fireplaces
- Pumpkin Spice candles burning in the living room
- Roasted pork with apple and onion chutney
- Flying to Boston Logan Airport while watching Food Network on the airplane
- Bagels with Mr. Berg prior to departure
- The cooler weather
- How dark it is when I leave work at the end of the day
- An extra hour of sleep
- Jewish Deli and bagels with fresh chive cream cheese
- Auntie Dot's meatballs
- Harvest Decor throughout the house
- Pumpkins everywhere
- Pulling out heavy sweaters and long pants
- UGG Boots (this should really be number 1)
- The start of Christmas Advertisements on TV
- The Macy's Thanksgiving Parade
- College Football
- Pumpkin Beer
- Harry Potter Movies!!
No comments:
Post a Comment