Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sleep Training Ain't Easy....

Oh my...... nobody warned me about this....

Little Man is 10 months old. And in his lifetime he's slept through the night probably 10 times. Yeah, you read that right. 10.


Oy! Mama is so tired.

I completely blame this problem on Little Man's parents. We keep feeding him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Why? Because when we fed him and he would go back to sleep. Thus, we could go back to sleep. No tears, no fussing, just sleep. Perfect, glorious, magnificent sleep.

Except, now Little Man is 10 months old and he's far too old to be pulling this crap. Plus, he know thinks middle of the night wake ups are play time. He hardly drinks his bottles. Instead he pulls at our ears and noses. Tries to play peek-a-boo and generally drives us insane.

So, Monday night we attempted to stop feeding him in the middle of the night.
(I should add that I made this decision when he woke up. Not prior to going to bed. I am INSANE)

What? Cold Turkey??

We aren't that mean. In 8 of the 10 nights prior, Little Man drank maybe 1-2oz of the 4oz we prepared for him. So don't freak out, he wasn't really drinking it anyway.

Monday night he cried, fussed, whined and finally screamed for a bottle. I held him off for 45 minutes and probably could have gone all night, but he got himself so worked up. It wasn't fair. So, he drank his 4oz and went to sleep. He slept until morning.

Tuesday night Mr. Berg went in when hestarted fussing. He was able to rock him and get him back to sleep. Which lasted an entire 20 minutes before he woke up mad. I went in, rocked him, shushed my face off and finally after another 30 minutes gave in and gave him a bottle. He promptly drank it and went back to sleep, staying asleep until morning.

I woke up Wednesday morning unsure if I should count this as a victory or a defeat. But I promised myself to stick with it.

Last night he was up at 1:30am. Mr. Berg went him and got him back to sleep quickly.
He slept until almost 3:30am before waking again.
I went in, rocked him, shushed him and he went back to sleep just before 4am.
And slept until 6am.

No middle of the night bottle needed.

So, again, do I count this as a victory or defeat?

Victory on the no bottle front
Defeat on the sleep front.

I keep telling myself that once he figured out there are no bottles to be had, he'll start sleeping longer.
True? I can pretend right?

Meanwhile, there just isn't enough coffee in the world right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment