Monday, September 19, 2011

Virginia in a Jar

I wish I could capture this weekend in a jar. That way I could look back on it every time I wanted to, so it would be there, every time I missed my friends. Virginia is a special, special place for me. My second family is there. My favorite friends are there. My best memories are almost all there. Despite this weekend's colder weather, I felt warm and safe, wrapped in the loving arms of my favorite friends and family.

Every third weekend in September Mr. Berg and I make the 5 hour journey south to visit our favorites and share in the magic that is the Wine Festival. Sure, it probably has a proper name, but for us, it's just the Wine Festival. We arrive early and circle ourselves around the grass under an old oak tree. Once the camping chairs have been set up and the bags of food unpacked, we head off in search of wines to taste, snacks to buy and more friends to hug.

This year the weather was crisp and cool, reminding us all that fall isn't far behind. For hours we sipped wine, talked, laughed and carried on. Our little motley crew, together as always like to be, even if only for a few days.

Sunday morning we packed up our things, nursed our hang overs and set off to venture north once more. Tears stained my eyes as I watched remaining line up in the yard, all waving good bye together.

The days can't go fast enough until I can see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment