Sunday, September 25, 2011

The One About the Time I Ovulated and Went to the ER

If you heard a lot of thumping and yelling and obnoxious celebrating going on Friday afternoon around 4:30pm, it was just me. Just me, wildly jumping around buck naked in my bathroom as I was getting ready for a shower and discovering the smiley face on my OPK.

It.was.glorious!

Fun was had by all that evening and Mr. Berg and I slipped off into dream land the evening with visions of sperm swimming towards eggs.

When I woke up Saturday morning things didn't feel 100%. My right side hurt way down into my pelvis. I tried to ignore it and go about our business. Later that morning while traveling 30 minutes away to visit a friend and pick up a bean bag toss game for an event today, I was goggling signs of ovarian cysts.

By the time we got home, I knew something was seriously wrong. I had some serious abdominal pain that radiated down my thigh and across my back. I couldn't walk properly, walking sucked and all was very, very bad.

Off to urgent care we went where we met a very nice doctor named George and his nurse, Miss Pissy Pants. MPP was convinced I was not only stupid but I was also pregnant and had a UTI. I knew better. Mr. Berg knew better and most importantly, so did George.  However, ever the peace maker, George had me pee in a cup to get the ball rolling.

Thirty minutes later we were told what we already knew. I did not have a UTI, I was not pregnant and my abdominal pain was worse then originally thought. I failed three separate tests for appendicitis.

At this point George did not urge me, did not suggest, rather forced me to get back in the car and head on out to the ER.

I wasn't thrilled but I knew it was best.

Mr. Berg got me to the car where I promptly started to freak out. Was it my appendix? Would I have surgery? If I had surgery, that would mean I'd have to spend the night. Would I get my own room? Would I have to wear a hospital gown? Could someone bring me my bear? (I know, I'm 29, I sleep with a bear, get over it).

What I forgot about and was quickly reminded of when I got to the ER was that they'd want to do blood work. EFF Word!!  What I also forgot about it that they'd want to start an IV, double EEFFFF WORD.

During registration at the ER, the charge nurse decided what blood work to run and another nurse took EIGHT vials of my red stuff. Mr. Berg did a fantastic job of distracting me and honestly, the nurse did such an awesome job, I barely felt a thing.

Two hours later, I was finally in a room in the ER, and my doctor was pressing and pushing on my stomach in a million different ways. He was concerned, rightly so, my pain was obviously intense and it was too similar to both appendicitis and an ovarian cyst.  He decided an ultra sound was needed and he warned me to start prepping myself to spend the night. My nurse, Pete, an retired Army medic and active national guardsman, started on my line and my meds.

Poor, sweet Pete. I was not good with needles. I am even worse when it comes to IVs. He tried and tired and he couldn't get my left arm to "perk" so he could get a good stick. This meant he needed to use my right arm, the arm that already was beat up from its earlier donation. I nearly lost my cookies when he exclaimed, I think I'll use the same hole. VOM!!!

30 minutes after he started Pete was able to get my line in, the IV dripping and some morphine in my system. It was after all this that they decided I should pee in a cup.

Good Lord. Poor Mister Berg, he had to ensure I not only got into the bathroom with an IV line and saline bag, but also pee in a cup, while not peeing on myself or my gown. I'd be a lair if I said I didn't get my gown wet. I'm just hoping it was potty water and NOT pee.

After a lot of waiting outside the bathroom door, Mr. Berg was able to get me back into bed and  shortly there after off to ultrasound I went.

My ultra sound Tech was wonderful. She couldn't tell me much but she could confirm, I had ovulated within the past 24 hours. It was at that point, I knew I was probably facing an ovarian cyst and not appendicitis.

Three hours and two more doses of morphine later, it was confirmed. I had a cyst the size of a pee on my ovary the size of a walnut. Ouch!

I was thrilled to be going home. But scared, what if this pain doesn't stop?

I woke up today feeling pretty puny. I'm still in pain but not as intense as yesterday.
I'm afraid to take the medicine they gave me, it's far too strong. Oxycontin. For a cyst?

I'm full of mixed feelings.
I'm excited I ovulated, I'm excited I could be fertilizing an egg as we speak.
I'm nervous of what this cyst might mean. I'm nervous about what kind of chance this potential egg could have with all the medicine push through my veins in the past few days.

I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up. I'm scared this is the beginning of a lot of issues.

I'm looking forward to following up with my doctor tomorrow. I hope he knows what's going on. I'm hoping to have my mind put at ease.

But on a high note: My body woke up and is working again.
If nothing else, I'm excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment