Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Settling In

With the nursery painted and our schedules firmed up for the next 60 days, Mr. Berg and I are settling in to a new rhythm. Yes, there are still a million things to do, agendas that are filled with meetings, doctor's appointments and baby classes. To Do Lists are continually growing and the crazy life we're living is still in full swing. But there is a sense of calm behind it all.

As of yesterday we have approximately 60 days until Baby Boy arrives. His room is painted, his carpet is being cleaned Friday, his furniture is awaiting assembly in the garage. Next weekend there will be a shower to celebrate his arrival and gifts from friends far and wide are starting to show up on our door step.

We are settling into the calm before the storm. Aside from preparing for baby we don't have a lot of big plans. Our couples plans include catching up on everything on the DVR,  heading out to the Farmer's Market a few times, spending some time on the deck once we get our flowers planted and sleeping in. We never make mention of it, but we both know, our time as just two is slowly fading. Before long we won't be making decisions for the two of us, but rather, for our family.

We talkexcitedly of Disney World, trips to the beach, water parks, amusements parks and museums. We sign when the Sandals Resort commericals come on TV. Will we ever get back there?

Our life is amazing, complicated, boring and chaotic all at once. We never know what the next moment will bring us but we embrace it none the less.

So much of me wonders, how on earth did we get here? It seems like yesterday I was graduating college and trying to piece together what my life would look like. When I compare what the reality of my life is to the dream I had for it, they don't even compare. They are completely different.

I once thought I'd marry into the military. I pondered base assigments, deployments, the distance between my family and me. While it always seemed so different and so exciting, it never truly felt right.
Now, here I am. Living in the same county I grew up in. Working a job I always wanted to have (mostly loving it, and sometimes not so much). I have a husband whom I adore. He is the type of husband I always wanted but never thought I would have. I am a wife, a daughter, a sister and a friend. I am a mother to a little boy, who's face I have yet to see but I dream of every night.

 I all honestly, I never thought it would be this good. I never thought I'd have all of this and so much more. I can't help but want to wrap it all around me like a warm blanket and snuggle in.

I once thought I'd be a girl that never settled. But in reality, I just never had something I wanted to settle into before.

Life is really, really good. And I am so very, very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment