Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Playing the Role

There's going to be a strange lead in here, so just go with me.

I watched part of the special on the series finale of House the other night. While I have always enjoyed watching the program, I was never a stead fast follower.  I typically get my fill of House episodes via reruns on summer weeknights and the occasional weekend afternoon if nothing good is on Food Network. I swear, I could watch the Food Network all freaking day.

Anyway..... Hugh Lorie was discussing how strange it would be to never play the role of Dr. House again. He discussed his relationship with his character, how he knew him inside and out and could make script changes based on what he believed Dr. House would really say, really do, or really feel. While he never said it, it was also as if Lorie was relating the end of the series to the death of his character. While yes, in the finale Dr. House ride off into the sunset to parts unknown, to Lorie, Dr. House is forever gone.

The whole concept struck me as both strange and exciting with an element of sadness mixed in. He knew that role so well, but would never be able play it again. And then it hit me..... I'm about ready to have a change in roles myself.

For 29 years I have just had to worry about me. Sure, I have family and friends and a husband to worry about. But they weren't born of my flesh, I did not carry them inside of me for 9 months. Thy are independent of me. Baby Berg, is very much the opposite.

Just as my mother has been a constant in my life for the past 29 years, I will be to Baby Berg. I will be saying goodbye to my childless self and entering motherhood. No matter what happens for the rest of my life, no matter where I go, no matter what I do, from now on, I will be a mother. I will have a son. I will never just play the role I'm playing right now again.

How strange.

How exciting

And yes, there is an element of sadness mixed in.

My husband and I have enjoyed our DINK years. Double Income No Kids. We go where we want, when we want to. We spend a lot of our disposable income on wine, concert tickets, trips to see friends and trips to see each other (yes, we live in the same house, we're just never home together. we have to vacation for quality time).

I doubt there will be anymore random half drunk Wednesday nights because someone had a bad day at work or someone needed to celebrate.

We have always been responsible people. But come July, we'll be reaching a whole new level.
Nonetheless, we are excited for our role change. We are excited for all the changes, excitement, love, stress and craziness that are heading our way. We've studied our lines, we've meshed as characters and we've undergone dress rehearsal. Sophie and Bob are still alive after all, aren't they?

Something tells me we'll be just fine.
Even if it will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment