Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Small Town Follies Volume 1

It is primary election day in my small town.

My voting place just happens to be at the local church down the street from my house. According to my Dad, he went to Kindergarten there as well.

I typically vote first thing in the morning, however, today I had an early breakfast meeting so I stopped in over lunch.

In the parking lot 7 elderly men were waiting to present me with fliers, tablets, pencils and pens all baring the insignia of their candidate.

Inside another little old man handed me a piece of paper to write my name and first letter of party affiliation on.
(He winked at me when I wrote "R")

From there I walked across fellowship hall to present my paper to the registration "girl as instructed." She was probably 70 and her partner was at lest 80. They both complimented me on my red rain coat and the older one said "Oh I remember you, you're the girl with the pretty ring"
(Mr. Berg picks out great engagement rings, honest)

From there another elderly man, with a walker no less, showed me to my voting booth.

I would like to take a moment to tell you, I was the only voter in the whole place.

He told me I was the youngest voter he'd seen that day.
I'm not sure he could see very well but I took his word for it.

It took me 40 seconds to cast my votes. I had my handy cheat sheet ready of all the candidates I wanted to vote for. I did my homework and double checked my answers with my Dad, another political guru.

I spent the next 40 minutes hanging out with my old folk peeps in the snack bar while I had my lunch.
You see, my voting place is awesome. The church ladies sell breakfast sandwiches, pancakes, scrapple, etc for breakfast and for lunch and dinner there's always turkey sandwiches, pork and sauerkraut and sugar cakes.

And damn those sugar cakes are good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment