Thursday, September 9, 2010

Back In My Happy Place

I got my truck back today. I was so excited to hear it was finished, I'm tempted to spend the nigt in it. Chances are, I won't. But still, it's nice to be back in one of my favorite places. My relationship with that SUV is remarkable. I named her, I care for her like she has feelings and emotions. I felt terrible when I nailed in her into the concerete ditch. I hope she's happy to be back with me. Hopefully she's not rolling her dip stick thinking "Great, this wack-a-doodle again?"

In other news, today in my last day in my mid-twenties. Tomorrow, I join the late twenties group. Seeing as I've been telling people for almost 4 months now that I'm a year older then I actually am, I don't think I'll have a problem offically being there. However, I do not see myself as an late twenty something, aka, an adult yet.

It's kind of like when I graduated with my MBA. I kept thinking to myself "these people actually think I'm smart. They think I understand all of this stuff! Are they nuts?"
I'm having a hard time considering myself a "grown-up." Grown-ups are serious and responsible and handle their emotions well.

I laugh at everything, if I don't make a list I'll forget to do it and we all know I wear my heart on my selve. I  totally lack an edit button when it comes to voicing my opinion. Sad, sad, sad.

Late last week one of my mentoring students asked me if I would write him a letter of recommendation to college. WTF? I'm not old enough to do that. But in reality, I am.

(Nevermind the fact that twenty minutes prior to completing my letter I had no idea how to spell the word recommendation.)

Truth of the matter is this. I am an adult. I am responsble, whether I think I am or not. I own a home, I grocery shop, I make lists and cross items off when I complete them. I have pets, I care for them, I take them to the vet on time, I remember their medications and special foods. I have a husband, I take care of him,  I make his favorite meals, stay quiet when he's trying to study and spoil him with love and attention. I make sure he goes to the doctor, I carry extra medicine in my purse for him, I worry about his cholestoral and his fiber intake. I send birthday cards to my friends and family members. I call my friends, I remember anniversarys, land mark moments and over look their faults.

I vote in every election. I try to stay up on the news. I go to church, talk to God almost daily and give back to my community. I do all of this and more without even thinking about it. So yes, whether I want to accept it or not. I, J-Berg, am an adult.

And believe it or not, it's a pretty happy place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment